Assad announced salary raise for state servants
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has announced salary raise for state servants, military personnel and retired employees.
According to the presidential decree, the raise for the current state employees and military personnel will be divided into the categories -- 40 percent increase on the first 10,000 Syrian pounds of the salary, 20 percent on the second 10,000, 10 percent on the third and five percent on the fourth 10,000.
The raise for the retirees starts from 25 percent on the first 10,000 Syrian pounds, 25 percent on the second and 10 percent on the third 10,000.
Xinhua said the raise comes in light of a hike in the US exchange rate against the Syrian pound, and recent data shows that public servants have lost 70 percent of their income.
Prices of almost all commodities in Syria have increased by 200 percent over the past few months, making a lot of commodities out of reach for many people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video