Assad blasts West claims of chemical weapons in Syria
Johannesburg: Syrian president Bashar Assad has said that claims of the West that the Syrian government used weapons of mass destruction against its countrymen are nothing but a pretext for waging war against Syria.
The statement comes after US, Britain and Israel strongly put forth their opinions that there is evidence of chemical weapons being used in Syria, News 24 reports.
However, Assad said that the West lies and forges evidence as a prelude to wage war as this is the tradition they follow, adding that their accusations are inconsistent.
Assad also said that he does not completely rule out probabilities of Western war against Syria.
While rebel fighters claim that they have seized several villages loyal to Assad in Hama in central Syria, Assad vowed that he will never resign and said he was willing to negotiate an end to the conflict but not with the rebels, whom he termed as `terrorists`.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has said that the villages that were seized by the Sunni rebels, who forced an exodus from the villages, were mainly inhabited by Alawites, a Shi`ite Muslim sect to which Assad belongs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble