Assad ‘could seek Alawite refuge’: Jordan King
Dubai: Jordan’s King Abdullah II has warned that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad could make a “worst case scenario” retreat to an Alawite stronghold if he falls from power.
During an interview with CBS News, Abdullah said that such an outcome of the Syrian crisis could splinter the country and cause ethnic strife for decades to come.
He feared a scenario that could eventually see Assad retreat to the shelter of his ethnic Alawite sect, which is a minority in Syria despite its monopoly on power, The Gulf News reports.
“I have a feeling that if he can’t rule Greater Syria, then maybe an Alawite enclave is Plan B,” the report quoted Abdullah, as saying.
“That would be, I think for us, the worst case scenario, because that means then the breakup of Greater Syria,” he said.
“That means that everybody starts land grabbing which makes no sense to me. If Syria then implodes on itself that would create problems that would take us decades for us to come back from,” he added.
According to the report, Abdullah also said he expected al-Assad would try maintain his bloody bid to cling onto power “indefinitely”.
He predicted Syria could slip into an “abyss” if a political solution to the crisis was not found soon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended