Assad denies civil war in Syria; opponents face unity talks
Damascus: The Syrian Opposition met here on Friday for crucial unity talks on whether to join other groups in a more unified Opposition, as per a BBC news report.
The proposed Syrian National Initiative aims to merge the disparate military and political groups to form a credible alternative to the Assad government.
The main armed rebel group said it was undergoing a drastic re-organisation. Whereas President Bashar al-Assad denied Syria was in a state of civil war.
From a long time the western and Gulf states have been pushing for such a body, which would act as a conduit for humanitarian - and possibly military – aid, BBC further said.
In an interview with Russian television, Assad warned that Syria was facing a protracted conflict because foreign powers were backing the rebels, but insisted there was no civil war.
If support for rebels from abroad stopped, Assad told state-run Russia Today (RT), "I can tell that in weeks we can finish everything.
"But as long as you have a continuous supply in terrorists, armaments, logistics and everything else, it is going to be a long-term war."
Assad admitted divisions existed in the country, but said "division does not mean civil war", said his future could be decided only through the ballot box and denied his forces had committed war crimes.
RT had yesterday released excerpts of the interview in which Assad vowed to "live in Syria and die in Syria" and warned that foreign intervention in his country would have global consequences.
Assad`s comments came as his foes in the opposition met in the Qatari capital Doha for Western- and Arab-backed efforts to unite in a government-in-waiting representing the whole spectrum of regime opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj