‘Assad living on warship guarded by Russian navy’
London: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his family are living on a warship guarded by the Russian navy.
The embattled dictator is said to have moved with his family and a few aides to the warship off Syria’s coast.
Intelligence sources told the Saudi daily paper al-Watan the president was being protected by Russia, which effectively amounted to political asylum, The Times of Israel has reported.
Al-Watan was told Assad’s fear of advances by the opposition in the capital was one of the reasons why he has moved to the ship, the Daily Mail reports.
Russia has remained an ally of the regime since the popular uprising in March 2011, during that time the UN estimates more than 60,000 people have been killed, the report said.
Russia also endorsed a speech by Assad last week where he offered an end to the crisis by calling national elections and forming a new government.
In his first public speech in six months last week, the dictator urged Syrians to mobilize in a ‘war to defend the nation’, the report said.
Meanwhile, as the death toll continued to grow steadily in Syria, an aid agency working in the conflict zone has said that doctors are being murdered to stop the wounded getting treated.
In a report released by International Rescue Committee’s Commission on Syrian Refugees, they said that partner organisations which provide emergency medical services and supplies say the health care system has been decimated, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16