Assad must reform or step aside: Britain`s Hague
Brussels: British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Monday that the Syrian regime could face more sanctions as he reiterated his call for President Bashar al-Assad to implement reforms or leave power.
"The situation remains very serious and, if anything, is deteriorating," Hague told reporters as he arrived for a meeting of European Union foreign ministers in Brussels.
"It is really up to the Syrian people but I believe he should reform or step aside," he said.
The European Union has slapped asset freezes and travel bans on the Damascus regime, including against Assad, in response to a brutal crackdown on anti-government protests.
"Certainly there will be a time for further sanctions," Hague said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'