Assad must reform or step aside: Britain`s Hague
Brussels: British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Monday that the Syrian regime could face more sanctions as he reiterated his call for President Bashar al-Assad to implement reforms or leave power.
"The situation remains very serious and, if anything, is deteriorating," Hague told reporters as he arrived for a meeting of European Union foreign ministers in Brussels.
"It is really up to the Syrian people but I believe he should reform or step aside," he said.
The European Union has slapped asset freezes and travel bans on the Damascus regime, including against Assad, in response to a brutal crackdown on anti-government protests.
"Certainly there will be a time for further sanctions," Hague said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter