`Assad not loosening grip in Syria`
Washington: The United States does not see any sign of Syrian President Bashar Assad losing his grip on power, a lawmaker has said.
“We don’t see Assad’s inner circle crumbling,” the Los Angeles Times quoted House Permanent Select Committee chairman Mike Rogers, as saying.
Rogers added that the Syrian leadership believes they are “winning” against the armed rebels, who are trying to topple the Assad-led government.
He said the arming of rebels is probably not prudent.
The United States and the international community have been under heavy pressure to take action against Syria’s brutal crackdown on protestors.
According to the United Nations, over 9,000 people have died in Syria since a protest movement inspired by the Arab Spring sparked off violence in the country last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?