`Assad not loosening grip in Syria`
Washington: The United States does not see any sign of Syrian President Bashar Assad losing his grip on power, a lawmaker has said.
“We don’t see Assad’s inner circle crumbling,” the Los Angeles Times quoted House Permanent Select Committee chairman Mike Rogers, as saying.
Rogers added that the Syrian leadership believes they are “winning” against the armed rebels, who are trying to topple the Assad-led government.
He said the arming of rebels is probably not prudent.
The United States and the international community have been under heavy pressure to take action against Syria’s brutal crackdown on protestors.
According to the United Nations, over 9,000 people have died in Syria since a protest movement inspired by the Arab Spring sparked off violence in the country last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS