Assad ouster `positive`: Israeli minister
Jerusalem: Israel`s Defence Minister says the Syrian President has lost his legitimacy, and his fall would be "very positive”.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak says the exit of Syrian President Bashar Assad would weaken Iranian influence in the region. He says anti-Israel Iranian proxies in Lebanon and Gaza would suffer if Assad is overthrown.
"The toppling of Assad will be ... a major blow to Iran," Barak told CNN. "It will be very positive event."
Israel considers Iran its most serious threat. Iran and Syria are close allies.
Barak said on Thursday the world is not doing enough to force Assad out.
The US called on Thursday for tougher measures to hold Syria to a ceasefire meant to end its bloody 13-month crackdown on opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country