Assad ouster `positive`: Israeli minister
Jerusalem: Israel`s Defence Minister says the Syrian President has lost his legitimacy, and his fall would be "very positive”.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak says the exit of Syrian President Bashar Assad would weaken Iranian influence in the region. He says anti-Israel Iranian proxies in Lebanon and Gaza would suffer if Assad is overthrown.
"The toppling of Assad will be ... a major blow to Iran," Barak told CNN. "It will be very positive event."
Israel considers Iran its most serious threat. Iran and Syria are close allies.
Barak said on Thursday the world is not doing enough to force Assad out.
The US called on Thursday for tougher measures to hold Syria to a ceasefire meant to end its bloody 13-month crackdown on opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum