Assad ouster `positive`: Israeli minister
Jerusalem: Israel`s Defence Minister says the Syrian President has lost his legitimacy, and his fall would be "very positive”.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak says the exit of Syrian President Bashar Assad would weaken Iranian influence in the region. He says anti-Israel Iranian proxies in Lebanon and Gaza would suffer if Assad is overthrown.
"The toppling of Assad will be ... a major blow to Iran," Barak told CNN. "It will be very positive event."
Israel considers Iran its most serious threat. Iran and Syria are close allies.
Barak said on Thursday the world is not doing enough to force Assad out.
The US called on Thursday for tougher measures to hold Syria to a ceasefire meant to end its bloody 13-month crackdown on opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick