Assad ouster `positive`: Israeli minister
Jerusalem: Israel`s Defence Minister says the Syrian President has lost his legitimacy, and his fall would be "very positive”.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak says the exit of Syrian President Bashar Assad would weaken Iranian influence in the region. He says anti-Israel Iranian proxies in Lebanon and Gaza would suffer if Assad is overthrown.
"The toppling of Assad will be ... a major blow to Iran," Barak told CNN. "It will be very positive event."
Israel considers Iran its most serious threat. Iran and Syria are close allies.
Barak said on Thursday the world is not doing enough to force Assad out.
The US called on Thursday for tougher measures to hold Syria to a ceasefire meant to end its bloody 13-month crackdown on opponents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan