Assad ouster `positive`: Israeli minister
Jerusalem: Israel`s Defence Minister says the Syrian President has lost his legitimacy, and his fall would be "very positive”.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak says the exit of Syrian President Bashar Assad would weaken Iranian influence in the region. He says anti-Israel Iranian proxies in Lebanon and Gaza would suffer if Assad is overthrown.
"The toppling of Assad will be ... a major blow to Iran," Barak told CNN. "It will be very positive event."
Israel considers Iran its most serious threat. Iran and Syria are close allies.
Barak said on Thursday the world is not doing enough to force Assad out.
The US called on Thursday for tougher measures to hold Syria to a ceasefire meant to end its bloody 13-month crackdown on opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY