Assad regime could crumble soon: UN official
Oslo: Norwegian media are quoting the outgoing UN chief observer in Syria as saying it`s just a matter of time before Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime crumbles.
But Major General Robert Mood also told a news conference in Oslo on Friday that Syria`s government still has great military muscle left to apply in the civil war, with no sense of proportionality when it comes to using violence.
According to Norwegian broadcaster TV2, Mood said, "It`s impossible to imagine a future in Syria where the current people in power remain in power," adding: "It`s just a matter of time before this regime collapses."
That could especially happen if more members of the military leave the government to join the opposition.
Mood left Damascus on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'