Assad regime could crumble soon: UN official
Oslo: Norwegian media are quoting the outgoing UN chief observer in Syria as saying it`s just a matter of time before Syrian President Bashar Assad`s regime crumbles.
But Major General Robert Mood also told a news conference in Oslo on Friday that Syria`s government still has great military muscle left to apply in the civil war, with no sense of proportionality when it comes to using violence.
According to Norwegian broadcaster TV2, Mood said, "It`s impossible to imagine a future in Syria where the current people in power remain in power," adding: "It`s just a matter of time before this regime collapses."
That could especially happen if more members of the military leave the government to join the opposition.
Mood left Damascus on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days