‘Assad regime ready to negotiate with Syrian opposition`
London: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has that he believes the Syrian government is willing to negotiate ways with the opposition to bring a two-year bloody uprising against the regime to an end.
Opposition leader Moaz Alkhatib has offered to talk to Syria`s rulers about trying to end the conflict, subject to conditions including the release of 160,000 detainees.
Syrian President Bashar al Assad has not yet commented on the offer and a key opposing faction flatly rejected the initiative.
According to Sky News, the Syrian National Council, the main component of the opposition, has dismissed the possibility of any negotiations.
Alkhatib, who called on Assad to agree to let Vice President Faruq al Sharaa open peace talks with his coalition, appealed for the opposition to ‘declare our willingness to negotiate’ the regime’s departure.
But he had also set a deadline of Sunday for the government to release all women detainees, otherwise he would regard his offer of dialogue as rejected by the president, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India