Assad regime reclaims Homs district
Damascus: The Assad regime after days of struggle on Sunday managed to get back the captured territory of Homs district from the rebels.
Deir Baalbeh district of Homs was under the control of the opposition forces and the battle to force them out claimed the life of 200 civilians in the process.
The death toll across Syria on Saturday was reported to be as high as 400.
The strategically important city of Homs has seen much of the heaviest fighting in Syria`s 21-month conflict.
Residents of Deir Baalbeh were rounded up and forced into a petrochemical plant where they were summarily executed, according to the Local Coordination Committees (LCC), an opposition group based in Syria.
Women and children were among the dead, according to the LCC.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a UK-based activist group, reported violence across Syria on Saturday, including in suburbs of the capital Damascus which have seen persistent clashes in recent weeks as the government attempts to wipe out the rebels` presence there.
The SOHR said it had not been able to get through to Deir Baalbeh to document the deaths there.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?