Assad regime reclaims Homs district
Damascus: The Assad regime after days of struggle on Sunday managed to get back the captured territory of Homs district from the rebels.
Deir Baalbeh district of Homs was under the control of the opposition forces and the battle to force them out claimed the life of 200 civilians in the process.
The death toll across Syria on Saturday was reported to be as high as 400.
The strategically important city of Homs has seen much of the heaviest fighting in Syria`s 21-month conflict.
Residents of Deir Baalbeh were rounded up and forced into a petrochemical plant where they were summarily executed, according to the Local Coordination Committees (LCC), an opposition group based in Syria.
Women and children were among the dead, according to the LCC.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a UK-based activist group, reported violence across Syria on Saturday, including in suburbs of the capital Damascus which have seen persistent clashes in recent weeks as the government attempts to wipe out the rebels` presence there.
The SOHR said it had not been able to get through to Deir Baalbeh to document the deaths there.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Swaraj seeks report from Indian consulate on death of workers
- Pakistan to keep border crossing with Afghanistan shut till apology
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho