Assad replies to UN proposals to end bloodshed
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has responded to UN-Arab League proposals for an end to the bloodshed in Syria even as monitors said nearly 50 more people were killed and a pro-regime daily reported the capture of a rebel city.
UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan, who met with Assad in
Damascus over the weekend, said he had made "concrete"
proposals to the Syrian leader on ways to halt the attacks and secure humanitarian access to cities where the United Nations says thousands have been killed in the past year.
"Their responses are being considered," Ahmad Fawzi,
spokesman for the envoy, said yesterday, declining to
comment on the substance of the Syrian response. Annan is
expected to make a statement today in Geneva.
Despite international pressure and growing clamour for
foreign intervention, Assad`s regime has pushed on with a
brutal crackdown on a year-long revolt that has killed more
than 8,500 people, mostly civilians, according to activists.
Annan also said he had a "useful meeting" with six
representatives of the opposition Syrian National Council
headed by Burhan Ghalioun, whom he said had "promised their
Meanwhile, the United States dismissed Assad`s
announcement of elections May 7 under a new constitution
passed in February.’
"Parliamentary elections for a rubber-stamp parliament in
the middle of the kind of violence that we`re seeing across
the country -- it`s ridiculous," US State Department
spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in Washington.
They would be the third such polls since Assad came to
power in 2000, but the first under a multi-party system as
authorised under the new charter.
In the latest clashes, 22 members of the security forces
were killed in two separate ambushes in the southern region of
Daraa and in Idlib province of northwest Syria, another
hotspot of rebel operations, monitors said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now