`Assad responsible for Syria`s humanitarian crisis`
Washington: Holding the regime of Bashar al-Assad responsible for the humanitarian crisis in Syria, the US on Wednesday claimed that territory and control was rapidly slipping out of the hands of the country`s rulers.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said the US was committed to helping the Syrian people who are at the receiving end of the war.
"The responsibility for the humanitarian crisis in Syria lies with Bashar al-Assad and his regime. Every day the regime`s hold on power weakens, territory slips from its grasp, and the opposition becomes more capable and confident.
"Syrians are taking back their dignity, and the United States will continue to lead international efforts to assist the Syrian people and to provide the kind of humanitarian aid that we have thus far," Carney said in response to a question.
The US, so far he said is the single largest bilateral donor of humanitarian assistance to the Syrian people.
"In coordination with our international humanitarian partners, we are supporting and complementing the generous efforts of Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq, whose governments and communities are hosting refugees fleeing the violence in Syria," he said.
"The United States is providing USD 210 million in humanitarian assistance to help millions of people inside Syria as well as to assist nearly 670,000 Syrians who have fled beyond that country`s borders.
"The American people are funding the provision of lifesaving food, medical care, blankets and essential winter supplies, which are reaching children, women and men in all 14 governorates inside Syria as well as refugees in the neighbouring countries," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence