Assad says he ‘can`t think of living outside Syria`
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has stressed that his departure will not stop the fighting in Syria, adding that it`s "nonsense" to suggest that the conflict in the country is about the president and his future.
Assad made his remarks during an interview with the British Sunday Times published on Sunday, during which he described himself as a patriotic Syrian that can`t think of living outside his country.
"No patriotic person will think about living outside his country. I am like any other patriotic Syrians," Assad said when asked if he would leave to improve the prospects for peace.
He stressed that it was nonsense to suggest that the conflict was about the president and his future, saying that "Clearly this is absurd, and recent precedents in Libya, Yemen and Egypt bear witness to this."
The embattled leader made the remarks as some superpowers have renewed their calls on him to step down.
Last week, newly appointed US Secretary of State John Kerry said that he was drafting diplomatic proposals to persuade al-Assad to give up power.
Kerry did not detail any potential offers or arguments to Assad, but hinted that his upcoming visit destinations will be Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia where he wants to talk with allies about ways to "ease Assad out."
However, and during his recent interview, Assad accused Kerry of wasting time by trying to ease him out of power, noting that his leadership was an internal matter.
"Any Syrian subject wouldn`t be raised with any foreigners. We only discuss it with Syrians within Syria so I am not going to discuss it with anyone who is coming from abroad," Assad stressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India