Assad to use referendum to prove legitimacy
Beirut: The Syrian regime will use the
referendum on a new constitution to try to prove its
legitimacy in the face of Western condemnation of its deadly
crackdown on dissent, analysts said Tuesday.
"This referendum is a success for the Syrians who have
faith in reforms and is a defeat for the Arab regimes and the
West who want to destabilise our country," government daily
The new constitution was approved by 89.4 per cent of
votes cast in Sunday`s referendum which saw 57.4 per cent of
those eligible casting their votes, despite boycott calls and
fresh bloodshed, according to official figures.
"The regime will use the referendum to say it has the
majority of the people with it, it has undertaken reforms and
is fighting against the Salafist groups and terrorists," said
Hilal Khashan, professor of political science at the American
University of Beirut.
But "the numbers don`t make sense in the middle of this
bloodbath," he said.
The opposition had called for a boycott of the referendum,
which abolishes the monopoly of Assad`s Baath party but leaves
considerable powers in the hands of the head of state.
President "Bashar al-Assad may use the referendum to
reassure his supporters by telling them `you were right to
believe I am a reformist,`" said Thomas Pierret, lecturer of
contemporary Islam at the University of Edinburgh.
"And it can be used by his Russian ally to tell the West:
`See, Assad made reforms,`" he said.
"But objectively speaking, the credibility of the
referendum is lost. Its promise of reforms is meaningless. It
will be believed by those who already support the plan, but
will not convince any opponent, even the moderates."
Pierret also doubted that 57 per cent of registered voters
cast their votes.
"This is a huge figure and probably fanciful, straight out
of the imagination of Syrian officials... in a country in
revolution and where the opposition called for a boycott of
the vote, which was not even held in several regions," he
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland questioned
how "any kind of democratic process" could take place while
Syrian government guns, tanks and artillery were still firing
into Homs and other cities.
"We dismiss it (the referendum) as absolutely cynical,"
Nuland said of the balloting.
"Essentially what he`s done here is put a piece of paper
that he controls to a vote that he controls so that he can try
to maintain control," Nuland said, referring to Assad.
The United Nations also cast doubt on the credibility of
"It is unlikely to be credible in a context of pervasive
violence and mass human rights violations," UN deputy
spokesman Eduardo del Buey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi