Assad`s cousin captured, claim Syrian rebels
Moscow: Syrian rebels have claimed to have captured Housam al-Assad, the cousin of President Bashar al-Assad, the Al Arabiya news channel reported.
Assad`s cousin was arrested by the al-Farouq brigade of the rebel Free Syrian Army, according to Sheikh Adnan Al Arour, a Sunni Muslim preacher and a major Salafist leader in Syria.
"Housam al-Assad, the cousin of Bashar has been captured," Arour announced on his Twitter account.
The 73-year-old Arour fled Syria under the rule of Hafez al-Assad following the 1982 massacre in his hometown of Hama and settled in Saudi Arabia.
He has become one of the symbolic figures of the Syrian uprising against the Assad regime.
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to various groups. The UN puts the toll at over 18,000 people, while Syrian authorities say 8,000 have died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list