Assad’s wife flees to Russia after suicide attack
Damascus: President Bashar al-Assad’s wife, Asma, is rumoured to have fled to Russia after a rebel attack in Damascus, which killed three leaders of the regime, including Assad’s brother-in-law.
According to the New York Daily News, Assad is believed to be in the coastal Syrian city of Latakia from where he is directing pro-government forces.
“Our information is that he is at his palace in Latakia, and that he may have been there for days,” a senior opposition figure, who declined to be named, said.
The whereabouts of Assad and his family were not known after the rebel attack.
Although Assad does not appear in public frequently, his absence was notable following such a serious blow to his inner circle.
Thousands of Syrians streamed across the Syrian border into Lebanon, fleeing as fighting in the capital entered its fifth straight day, witnesses said.
Major General Robert Mood, the Norwegian head of nearly 300 unarmed UN observers in Syria, condemned the violence and encouraged a diplomatic solution, which now appears increasingly out of reach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts