Assange celeb backers face losing £240k bail money
London: Some of Julian Assange’s most prominent supporters face a GBP 240,000 bill after the WikiLeaks founder breached bail conditions over alleged sex crimes.
Assange recently entered the Ecuadorean embassy in Knightsbridge and requested asylum under the United Nations Human Rights Declaration.
Socialite Jemima Khan, film director Ken Loach and journalist John Pilger all put up thousands of pounds in securities to allow Assange his freedom in December 2010.
Vaughan Smith, who housed the WikiLeaks founder at his 10-bedroom Ellingham Hall for more than a year, said he was worried about losing the money he had put up, The Telegraph reports.
“I was surprised. I hadn`t spoken to him for two weeks. If somebody in Britain feels the need to walk into an embassy and claim asylum I think we as a society have to ask ourselves some questions,” Smith told The Evening Standard.
“Julian is a man I`ve never seen in panic. He is courageous and brave. He believes in what he is doing and he should be credited for that,” Smith said.
“I`m trying not to think about whether I will or will not lose any money. I hope I won`t. But first and foremost Julian is a friend,” he added.
Assange is currently holed up at the embassy in talks with his lawyers in a final bid to avoid extradition to Sweden on sex crime allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!