Assange confirms plan to run for Australian Senate
Sydney: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has confirmed his intention to run for a seat in the Australian Senate in the 2013 election.
In an interview with Fairfax Media, Assange said plans to register an Australian WikiLeaks party were ‘significantly advanced’.
He indicated he would be a Senate candidate, and added that ‘a number of very worthy people admired by the Australian public’ have indicated their availability to stand for election on a party ticket, the Age reports.
According to the paper, the founder of the whistle blowing website said he is able to fulfill the requirements to register as an overseas elector in either New South Wales or Victoria and that he will shortly take a ‘strategic decision’ about which state he would be a Senate candidate for.
Registration of the party with the Australian Electoral Commission would require confirmation of 500 members who are listed on the electoral roll.
Assange hopes that WikiLeaks’ Internet presence that includes a Twitter account with nearly 1.7 million followers and a Facebook page with over 2.1 million ‘likes’, and the formation of ‘friends of WikiLeaks’ groups would mobilise Australian supporters, the report said.
The report quoted him, as saying that a WikiLeaks party would advance the site’s objectives of promoting openness in government and politics, and it would combat growing intrusions on individual privacy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more