Assange defends ‘whistle blower’ WikiLeaks 2 yrs after ‘cablegate’
Sydney: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has vowed to keep exposing secret documents and defended his whistle blowing website, two years after it published sensitive US diplomatic cables.
Marking the anniversary of "cablegate", Assange said his anti-secrecy website had uncovered US attempts to hide atrocities, coerce other governments and dominate the global economy.
"Since 2010, Western governments have tried to portray WikiLeaks as a terrorist organisation, enabling a disproportionate response from both political figures and private institutions,” he wrote in The Huffington Post.
"It is the case that WikiLeaks`` publications can and have changed the world, but that change has clearly been for the better," he said.
“Two years on, no claim of individual harm has been presented, and the examples (cables) above clearly show precisely who has blood on their hands,” he added.
According to News.com.au, Assange`s commentary appeared as the army private accused of leaking the US documents to WikiLeaks, Bradley Manning, testified for the first time at a pre-trial hearing after two years in detention.
Assange has been holed up in Ecuador`s London embassy for five months to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he is facing allegations of rape and sexual assault.
He says that if extradited, he could be handed over to the United States for prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened