‘Assange well, but needs fresh vegetables’
London: Fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood has ended speculation about the ill health of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange after visiting him at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London last week.
Speaking to The Independent, the punk fashion designer said Assange looked well, with his worst ailment appearing to be a need for fresh vegetables. “When I went to see him I realised the best thing I can do is get people to bring lots of raw vegetables that he can grate up and eat.
I took him some booze and he said ``that`s what everyone brings me, but what I`d really like is an apple or something,” Westwood said. “He`s eating those dreadful microwave meals. I took him a bottle of red wine because that`s my favourite,” she added.
According to the report, Westwood’s assurances on Assange’s well-being come after Ecuadorian Vice foreign minister Marco Albuja Martinez told Russian reporters on Tuesday that Assange had "grown noticeably thinner", and that they were "very concerned about his health".
Assange, who has been granted political asylum by the government of Ecuador, is seeking to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning over claims of sex offences.
He fears being handed over to the United States over the activities of his whistle blowing website. Ecuador has asked the British Foreign Office for a document that would enable Assange to enter hospital safely if necessary and return to the embassy with refugee status.
"He`s well and I think the embassy is just being sensible. They want to know what they would do if anything goes wrong with his health," Westwood said. She described Assange as a "real hero," adding: "He`s a very brave man. He`s a noble adventure figure like Robin Hood."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers