Asylum-seeker arrivals in Oz hits record high
Melbourne: The number of asylum-seekers arriving by boat in Australian waters in 2012 has hit a record high, according to government figures.
Department of Immigration figures show 6,765 people have arrived by boat in this year, breaking the last record set in 2010, when 6,555 arrived.
The Federal Opposition`s Michael Keenan said the figures show the Commonwealth`s asylum seeker policies are not deterring people smugglers.
"We`re actually having almost on average a boat arrive every single day," he said.
"This means that 2012 is now the worst year on record for people arriving illegally in Australia, the illegal arrivals that have happened today this year have eclipsed the illegal arrivals in any previous year, and of course we`re only in July."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes