Asylum-seeker arrivals in Oz hits record high
Melbourne: The number of asylum-seekers arriving by boat in Australian waters in 2012 has hit a record high, according to government figures.
Department of Immigration figures show 6,765 people have arrived by boat in this year, breaking the last record set in 2010, when 6,555 arrived.
The Federal Opposition`s Michael Keenan said the figures show the Commonwealth`s asylum seeker policies are not deterring people smugglers.
"We`re actually having almost on average a boat arrive every single day," he said.
"This means that 2012 is now the worst year on record for people arriving illegally in Australia, the illegal arrivals that have happened today this year have eclipsed the illegal arrivals in any previous year, and of course we`re only in July."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras
- Uproar in Rajya Sabha over attack on women in Madhya Pradesh for carrying beef