Asylum-seeker arrivals in Oz hits record high
Melbourne: The number of asylum-seekers arriving by boat in Australian waters in 2012 has hit a record high, according to government figures.
Department of Immigration figures show 6,765 people have arrived by boat in this year, breaking the last record set in 2010, when 6,555 arrived.
The Federal Opposition`s Michael Keenan said the figures show the Commonwealth`s asylum seeker policies are not deterring people smugglers.
"We`re actually having almost on average a boat arrive every single day," he said.
"This means that 2012 is now the worst year on record for people arriving illegally in Australia, the illegal arrivals that have happened today this year have eclipsed the illegal arrivals in any previous year, and of course we`re only in July."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse