At least 1 dead in Yemen-Saudi border attack: Officials
Riyadh: A Saudi security official was killed in an attack by armed assailants near a border post with Yemen today, the interior ministry said.
The ministry said three assailants also died in an exchange of fire.
In Yemen, a security source said earlier that suspected al Qaeda gunmen attacked a military post on the Saudi border, triggering a clash that killed one soldier and wounded another.
The assailants used machineguns and rocket-propelled grenades to attack the Yemeni side of Wadia border post, the source said, adding that the gunmen managed to flee.
The crossing is in Yemen`s southeastern province of Hadramawt, whose rugged terrain provides hideouts for militants of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
AQAP is considered by Washington to be the jihadist network`s most dangerous affiliate.
Local Yemeni officials told AFP that today`s attack bore "the thumbprints of al Qaeda" without elaborating.
Smugglers also do a brisk business across the long and porous border between oil-rich Saudi Arabia and impoverished Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY