At least 1 dead in Yemen-Saudi border attack: Officials
Riyadh: A Saudi security official was killed in an attack by armed assailants near a border post with Yemen today, the interior ministry said.
The ministry said three assailants also died in an exchange of fire.
In Yemen, a security source said earlier that suspected al Qaeda gunmen attacked a military post on the Saudi border, triggering a clash that killed one soldier and wounded another.
The assailants used machineguns and rocket-propelled grenades to attack the Yemeni side of Wadia border post, the source said, adding that the gunmen managed to flee.
The crossing is in Yemen`s southeastern province of Hadramawt, whose rugged terrain provides hideouts for militants of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
AQAP is considered by Washington to be the jihadist network`s most dangerous affiliate.
Local Yemeni officials told AFP that today`s attack bore "the thumbprints of al Qaeda" without elaborating.
Smugglers also do a brisk business across the long and porous border between oil-rich Saudi Arabia and impoverished Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar