At least 1 dead in Yemen-Saudi border attack: Officials
Riyadh: A Saudi security official was killed in an attack by armed assailants near a border post with Yemen today, the interior ministry said.
The ministry said three assailants also died in an exchange of fire.
In Yemen, a security source said earlier that suspected al Qaeda gunmen attacked a military post on the Saudi border, triggering a clash that killed one soldier and wounded another.
The assailants used machineguns and rocket-propelled grenades to attack the Yemeni side of Wadia border post, the source said, adding that the gunmen managed to flee.
The crossing is in Yemen`s southeastern province of Hadramawt, whose rugged terrain provides hideouts for militants of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
AQAP is considered by Washington to be the jihadist network`s most dangerous affiliate.
Local Yemeni officials told AFP that today`s attack bore "the thumbprints of al Qaeda" without elaborating.
Smugglers also do a brisk business across the long and porous border between oil-rich Saudi Arabia and impoverished Yemen.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Indian Premier League 2016: Chris Morris does justice to whopping price tag for Delhi Daredevils with incredible 82-run knock
- Facebook profits surge as user base expands
- Watch - Maiden rocket launch from Russia's brand new Vostochny Cosmodrome!
- 'Revamped' Varanasi ghats to go green - PM Modi set to distribute e-boats to boatmen of Ganga
- Air travellers to get refund on development fee for tickets booked beyond April 30