At least 11 soldiers dead in Algeria ambush: Media
Algiers: At least 11 soldiers were killed in an ambush by Islamic extremists near Tipaza, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Algiers, news media in the Algerian capital reported on Thursday.
Some newspapers put as high as 21 the number of dead in Wednesday`s incident, in which an Algerian military convoy was ambushed outside the Mediterranean coastal town of Damous, west of Tipaza.
Press reports said the convoy was targeted by several bombs, after which a firefight broke out that lasted about 20 minutes. The Arabic newspaper El Khabar said five of the extremists were killed.
There was no official confirmation of the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey