At least 11 soldiers dead in Algeria ambush: Media
Algiers: At least 11 soldiers were killed in an ambush by Islamic extremists near Tipaza, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Algiers, news media in the Algerian capital reported on Thursday.
Some newspapers put as high as 21 the number of dead in Wednesday`s incident, in which an Algerian military convoy was ambushed outside the Mediterranean coastal town of Damous, west of Tipaza.
Press reports said the convoy was targeted by several bombs, after which a firefight broke out that lasted about 20 minutes. The Arabic newspaper El Khabar said five of the extremists were killed.
There was no official confirmation of the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use