At least 11 soldiers dead in Algeria ambush: Media
Algiers: At least 11 soldiers were killed in an ambush by Islamic extremists near Tipaza, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Algiers, news media in the Algerian capital reported on Thursday.
Some newspapers put as high as 21 the number of dead in Wednesday`s incident, in which an Algerian military convoy was ambushed outside the Mediterranean coastal town of Damous, west of Tipaza.
Press reports said the convoy was targeted by several bombs, after which a firefight broke out that lasted about 20 minutes. The Arabic newspaper El Khabar said five of the extremists were killed.
There was no official confirmation of the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire