At least 130 dead in Ukraine`s cold snap
Kiev: Freezing temperatures have taken the lives of at least 133 homeless people in Ukraine this month, a media report said Saturday.
Most of the victims were homeless people who lost their lives on the streets at night when temperatures dropped below minus 5 degrees Celsius, Xinhua reported.
The government has set up more than 3,000 heated tents for those in need, but not all those who died took shelter in them, officials said.
The Ukrainian cabinet is mulling an idea to dispatch special social patrol teams to send the homeless to the tents. The units will include law enforcement officers as well as doctors and social workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city