At least 130 dead in Ukraine`s cold snap
Kiev: Freezing temperatures have taken the lives of at least 133 homeless people in Ukraine this month, a media report said Saturday.
Most of the victims were homeless people who lost their lives on the streets at night when temperatures dropped below minus 5 degrees Celsius, Xinhua reported.
The government has set up more than 3,000 heated tents for those in need, but not all those who died took shelter in them, officials said.
The Ukrainian cabinet is mulling an idea to dispatch special social patrol teams to send the homeless to the tents. The units will include law enforcement officers as well as doctors and social workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon