At least 15 bodies found floating in Nigerian river
Abuja: Police in Nigeria`s southern state of Anambra said on Sunday they found at least 15 dead bodies floating on Amansea river where several people go to fetch drinking water.
Some people from the local community, who went to fetch water from the river in the morning, discovered the bodies yesterday floating slowly, with some wedged on the banks of the river, local media reported.
Locals said, they counted up to 50 bodies before going to inform authorities.
The communities surrounding the river said nobody was missing within and suspected that the dead bodies may have floated down a long distance from neighbouring Enugu state.
"Since our arrival, we have counted about 15 dead bodies floating on this river and we may not have seen the last. We were duly informed by the security agencies and we believe they will carry out investigations to tell us actually what transpired", state commissioner for local government, Azuka Enemuo said.
Police spokesman for Anambra State, Emeka Chukwuemeka, confirmed the incident and said that police would carry out a thorough investigation.
Dead bodies often float on Nigerian rivers after boat mishaps.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'