At least 15 bodies found floating in Nigerian river
Abuja: Police in Nigeria`s southern state of Anambra said on Sunday they found at least 15 dead bodies floating on Amansea river where several people go to fetch drinking water.
Some people from the local community, who went to fetch water from the river in the morning, discovered the bodies yesterday floating slowly, with some wedged on the banks of the river, local media reported.
Locals said, they counted up to 50 bodies before going to inform authorities.
The communities surrounding the river said nobody was missing within and suspected that the dead bodies may have floated down a long distance from neighbouring Enugu state.
"Since our arrival, we have counted about 15 dead bodies floating on this river and we may not have seen the last. We were duly informed by the security agencies and we believe they will carry out investigations to tell us actually what transpired", state commissioner for local government, Azuka Enemuo said.
Police spokesman for Anambra State, Emeka Chukwuemeka, confirmed the incident and said that police would carry out a thorough investigation.
Dead bodies often float on Nigerian rivers after boat mishaps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'