At least 15 bodies found floating in Nigerian river
Abuja: Police in Nigeria`s southern state of Anambra said on Sunday they found at least 15 dead bodies floating on Amansea river where several people go to fetch drinking water.
Some people from the local community, who went to fetch water from the river in the morning, discovered the bodies yesterday floating slowly, with some wedged on the banks of the river, local media reported.
Locals said, they counted up to 50 bodies before going to inform authorities.
The communities surrounding the river said nobody was missing within and suspected that the dead bodies may have floated down a long distance from neighbouring Enugu state.
"Since our arrival, we have counted about 15 dead bodies floating on this river and we may not have seen the last. We were duly informed by the security agencies and we believe they will carry out investigations to tell us actually what transpired", state commissioner for local government, Azuka Enemuo said.
Police spokesman for Anambra State, Emeka Chukwuemeka, confirmed the incident and said that police would carry out a thorough investigation.
Dead bodies often float on Nigerian rivers after boat mishaps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday