At least 15 killed in Iraq``s Anbar province
Baghdad: At least 15 people were killed and 26 others wounded in separate attacks across the Iraqi province of Anbar Sunday, police said.
An explosive-laden car was blown up by a suicide bomber outside a base of police commando force in the provincial capital city of Ramadi, some 110 km west of Baghdad, killing five policemen and wounding two others, Xinhua quoted a police source as saying.
Another suicide attack occurred in the western part of Ramadi when an explosive-packed car rammed into an army checkpoint, killing two soldiers and wounding five others, the source added.
Separately, gunmen blew up a bridge while a police patrol was passing on in the southern part of Anbar province, killing a policeman and wounding three others.
Also in the province, three civilians were killed and 12 others wounded by mortar barrage in the morning on several neighbourhoods in the besieged city of Fallujah, some 50 km west of Baghdad.
In a separate incident, Iraqi soldiers killed four militants, believed to be linked to Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL), and wounded four others during an operation in Garma town, police said.
Anbar province has been the scene of fierce clashes that flared up after Iraqi police dismantled an anti-government protest site outside Ramadi in late December last year.
The attacks came just three days before Iraq`s April 30 parliamentary elections, the first in the country since the withdrawal of US troops in late 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?