At least 18 die in bus crash in Zimbabwe
Harare: Police say at least 18 people died
when a bus veered off the highway and slammed into a tree
after a wheel broke off.
State radio reported today that other passengers in
the overcrowded 16-seater minibus were injured in the crash
Saturday about 90 kilometers northeast of Harare.
Police official Oliver Mandipaka told the state
broadcaster a rear wheel sheered off and the bus careered into
a tree 300 feet along the roadside. Mandipaka said 16 people
died on the spot.
Bus accidents are common in Zimbabwe, blamed mostly on
poor maintenance in the troubled economy, worn tires, speeding
and overcrowding. The state Sunday Mail newspaper reported as
many as 29 passengers were believed crammed into the 16-seat
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- A good beginning: Govt on meet between PM Modi, Sonia over GST Bill