At least 18 die in bus crash in Zimbabwe
Harare: Police say at least 18 people died
when a bus veered off the highway and slammed into a tree
after a wheel broke off.
State radio reported today that other passengers in
the overcrowded 16-seater minibus were injured in the crash
Saturday about 90 kilometers northeast of Harare.
Police official Oliver Mandipaka told the state
broadcaster a rear wheel sheered off and the bus careered into
a tree 300 feet along the roadside. Mandipaka said 16 people
died on the spot.
Bus accidents are common in Zimbabwe, blamed mostly on
poor maintenance in the troubled economy, worn tires, speeding
and overcrowding. The state Sunday Mail newspaper reported as
many as 29 passengers were believed crammed into the 16-seat
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read