At least 19 killed in US floods
Washington: At least 19 people were killed in the US after torrential rains caused heavy flooding, according to media reports Monday.
Twelve people were killed in the state of Tennessee while four deaths were reported in Mississippi and authorities counted three fatalities in Kentucky.
Thousands of people had to flee their homes, while hotels and nursing homes were evacuated in Nashville, the Tennessean newspaper said.
Fast-moving water washed over roads and parking lots, leading to the shutdown of several highway stretches. Some drivers had to be rescued by firefighters after rising water trapped them in their cars.
Several bodies were discovered in a flooded Nashville house and in a rolled-over car that was floating on a flooded street.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SCO Summit: India looks forward to fruitful outcome, says PM Narendra Modi
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue
- North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un says missile test a success, threat to US