At least 20 killed by electrocution in Nigeria
Lagos: At least 20 bus passengers have been killed in Nigeria when a cable fell onto the bus and electrocuted people inside, police said.
Police confirmed 20 deaths, but spokeswoman Rita Abbey said the toll could climb further.
A news agency Press cameraman saw more than 10 bodies, some charred beyond recognition, at a local hospital in the provincial capital of Port Harcourt yesterday. Another 10 people were seen being treated for gashes and burns.
Most of the dead had been passengers aboard the bus, though some had been passing nearby when the cable came tumbling down during heavy rains that have pummelled southern Nigeria.
Police could not say exactly how many had been aboard the bus or how many had survived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway