At least 21 civilians killed in Mogadishu battle: Medics
Mogadishu: At least 21 Somali civilians were
killed on Thursday and 59 wounded in fierce Mogadishu clashes
pitting government forces backed by African Union troops
against Islamist insurgents, medics said.
The fighting broke out when newly-trained government
forces backed by the soldiers of the African Union mission in
Somalia (AMISOM) apparently launched a major offensive to
recapture key Mogadishu neighbourhoods.
The internationally-backed government had lost ground
last month when insurgents, mainly from the Al Qaeda-inspired
Shebab movement, punched through a strategic frontline and
closed in on the presidential compound.
"The Somali government forces advanced on the terrorists`
strongholds this morning," Colonel Ahmed Ibrahim, a government
security official, told agency.
"They took control of several neighbourhoods which had
been held by the rebels and the fighting is still going on.
There are several bodies strewn across the streets," he added.
Medical sources counted at least 21 civilian deaths after
the first few hours of fighting but expected the toll to rise,
with no immediate information on combatant casualties and
several areas impossible to access independently.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'