At least 21 killed in Philippine accident
Manila: At least 21 people were killed and scores were wounded when a passenger bus fell from an elevated Skyway in Taguig City, Metro Manila, and hit a van under the highway early Monday morning, a senior official said.
A Don Mariano Transit Bus fell from the south bound lane of the highway while on its way to Alabang, Muntinlupa City, at around 6:30 a.m., Xinhua quoted Winston Ginez, chairman of Land Transportation Franchising Regulatory Board, as saying in a television interview.
The driver of the van was reportedly one of those killed while the driver of the bus was one of the survivors, he said.
Ginez said the bus driver would undergo drug and alcohol test as investigators were yet to determine if the cause of accident was "human error, negligence or mechanical error".
The families of those who died in the accident would receive $1,697 each while those injured would receive $339 each, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read