At least 21 killed in Philippine accident
Manila: At least 21 people were killed and scores were wounded when a passenger bus fell from an elevated Skyway in Taguig City, Metro Manila, and hit a van under the highway early Monday morning, a senior official said.
A Don Mariano Transit Bus fell from the south bound lane of the highway while on its way to Alabang, Muntinlupa City, at around 6:30 a.m., Xinhua quoted Winston Ginez, chairman of Land Transportation Franchising Regulatory Board, as saying in a television interview.
The driver of the van was reportedly one of those killed while the driver of the bus was one of the survivors, he said.
Ginez said the bus driver would undergo drug and alcohol test as investigators were yet to determine if the cause of accident was "human error, negligence or mechanical error".
The families of those who died in the accident would receive $1,697 each while those injured would receive $339 each, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Just Awesome! WATCH KL Rahul score incredible ton against West Indies in just 46 balls
- Walking can cut cardiovascular death by half
- When Robert Vadra had verbal spat with BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi over police horse Shaktiman's death - ALL DETAILS HERE
- 'Those provoking youth in Kashmir for Jihaad have kept their children in safe havens'
- SEBI mulling relaxed norms for REITs, InvITs, startups listing