At least 21 killed in Philippine accident
Manila: At least 21 people were killed and scores were wounded when a passenger bus fell from an elevated Skyway in Taguig City, Metro Manila, and hit a van under the highway early Monday morning, a senior official said.
A Don Mariano Transit Bus fell from the south bound lane of the highway while on its way to Alabang, Muntinlupa City, at around 6:30 a.m., Xinhua quoted Winston Ginez, chairman of Land Transportation Franchising Regulatory Board, as saying in a television interview.
The driver of the van was reportedly one of those killed while the driver of the bus was one of the survivors, he said.
Ginez said the bus driver would undergo drug and alcohol test as investigators were yet to determine if the cause of accident was "human error, negligence or mechanical error".
The families of those who died in the accident would receive $1,697 each while those injured would receive $339 each, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city