At least 21 killed in Philippine accident
Manila: At least 21 people were killed and scores were wounded when a passenger bus fell from an elevated Skyway in Taguig City, Metro Manila, and hit a van under the highway early Monday morning, a senior official said.
A Don Mariano Transit Bus fell from the south bound lane of the highway while on its way to Alabang, Muntinlupa City, at around 6:30 a.m., Xinhua quoted Winston Ginez, chairman of Land Transportation Franchising Regulatory Board, as saying in a television interview.
The driver of the van was reportedly one of those killed while the driver of the bus was one of the survivors, he said.
Ginez said the bus driver would undergo drug and alcohol test as investigators were yet to determine if the cause of accident was "human error, negligence or mechanical error".
The families of those who died in the accident would receive $1,697 each while those injured would receive $339 each, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 'Aam Aadmi Party has anti-women character'
- WATCH: 4 wickets in 6 balls - When Ajit Agarkar bowled devastating last over against Australia
- Watch: Special 'Justice League' Comic-Con 2016 footage will give you goosebumps!
- Air India to get 6 more Boeing Dreamliners by next year
- AAP has very close links with radicals: Sukhbir Singh Badal