At least 30 dead in China storm
Beijing: At least 30 people died and several others were missing on Friday after hail and torrential rains battered a mountainous region in northwest China, authorities said.
The storm affected around 35,000 people of Minxian county in Gansu province, Xinhua reported. At least 29 people were missing and 40 have been hospitalised.
Roads were blocked, houses collapsed, and farmland destroyed due to the extreme weather, officials said.
About 2,000 officials and 800 soldiers and militiamen have reached the region to rescue trapped villagers from storm-battered areas.
The provincial Red Cross sent 1,000 quilts and 1,000 coats to help in disaster relief efforts. The provincial finance bureau has earmarked CNY two million (around USD 320,000) to repair damaged facilities.
The storm disrupted power in six townships, damaged several homes, hospitals and schools, and destroyed over 7,000 hectares of crops.
Minxian is a mountainous county with a population of 450,000. It is located 150 km from Zhouqu, where a rain-triggered mudslide killed more than 1,500 people in August 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal