At least 32,000 homes damaged in Mexico quake
Chilpancingo: At least 32,000 homes
were damaged by an earthquake in southern Mexico, but no one
was killed and just 13 people were injured, authorities said.
Angel Aguirre, governor of the southern Guerrero state,
said yesterday that preliminary reports indicated that 30,000
homes had been damaged, with 800 of them destroyed completely,
by Tuesday`s powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake.
He added that a shelter had been set up for some 200
Gabino Cue, governor of the neighbouring Oaxaca state,
reported that 2,000 homes had been damaged as well as several
The damage was more limited in Mexico City, but Mayor
Marcelo Ebrard said some 250,000 people were without running
water because of severed pipes.
The earthquake -- with its epicentre south of the Pacific
resort of Acapulco -- was the most powerful to hit the country
since one in 1985, which destroyed entire neighbourhoods of
the capital and killed thousands.
More than 40 aftershocks, some of up to 5.0 magnitude,
shook the Mexican capital and southern areas in the aftermath
of Tuesday`s earthquake, according to the National
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!