At least 33 dead in Peru bus crash
Lima: At least 33 people died and 10 others have been injured after a bus plunged 200 metres (650 feet) down a ravine in northern Peru, police said.
The bus with the Horna company veered off a mountain road near the town of Otuzco some 570 kilometres (350 miles) north of Lima, early yesterday.
Authorities blamed the region`s treacherous, winding roads, the poor condition of the vehicle and driver error for the accident.
Road accidents are common in the Peruvian Andes due to poorly maintained roads, inconsistent vehicle maintenance, and the propensity of overworked bus drivers to speed.
In 2011, 1,124 people were killed and 2,583 injured in 1,108 highway accidents, according to the latest official figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs