At least 34 dead in Guatemala bus crash: Official
Guatemala City: A bus plunged into a deep river canyon in northwest Guatemala on Monday and at least 34 people were killed, a rescue worker said.
Mario Cruz, the spokesman for the volunteer fire department in the area, said another 45 injured people had been taken to hospitals.
Cruz said about 80 people were aboard the bus, which had been headed for Guatemala City. The dead included at least three babies.
"Some of the people were rescued with hydraulic equipment, and others were thrown (from the bus) at the time of the accident," Cruz said.
Volunteer firefighter Juan Pablo Ucla said the bus fell into a river at the bottom of the 600-foot canyon around 8:15 AM (local time).
The area around the municipality of San Martín Jilotepeque has mostly dirt roads that wind through steep mountains without guardrails or other safety measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'