At least 34 dead in Guatemala bus crash: Official
Guatemala City: A bus plunged into a deep river canyon in northwest Guatemala on Monday and at least 34 people were killed, a rescue worker said.
Mario Cruz, the spokesman for the volunteer fire department in the area, said another 45 injured people had been taken to hospitals.
Cruz said about 80 people were aboard the bus, which had been headed for Guatemala City. The dead included at least three babies.
"Some of the people were rescued with hydraulic equipment, and others were thrown (from the bus) at the time of the accident," Cruz said.
Volunteer firefighter Juan Pablo Ucla said the bus fell into a river at the bottom of the 600-foot canyon around 8:15 AM (local time).
The area around the municipality of San Martín Jilotepeque has mostly dirt roads that wind through steep mountains without guardrails or other safety measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert