At least 34 dead in Guatemala bus crash: Official
Guatemala City: A bus plunged into a deep river canyon in northwest Guatemala on Monday and at least 34 people were killed, a rescue worker said.
Mario Cruz, the spokesman for the volunteer fire department in the area, said another 45 injured people had been taken to hospitals.
Cruz said about 80 people were aboard the bus, which had been headed for Guatemala City. The dead included at least three babies.
"Some of the people were rescued with hydraulic equipment, and others were thrown (from the bus) at the time of the accident," Cruz said.
Volunteer firefighter Juan Pablo Ucla said the bus fell into a river at the bottom of the 600-foot canyon around 8:15 AM (local time).
The area around the municipality of San Martín Jilotepeque has mostly dirt roads that wind through steep mountains without guardrails or other safety measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Committee flags gaps, vulnerability in Indo-Pak border fencing
- Argentine football legend Diego Maradona's passport stolen, unable to travel to Dubai
- RBI calls for ownership change of companies with sticky loan accounts
- Building a sports culture crucial to winning medals at Olympics: Pullela Gopichand
- Maharashtra, Haryana Assemblies unanimously ratify GST Bill