At least 43 killed in violence in Sudan`s Darfur
Cairo: Clashes in a refugee camp in Sudan`s
restive Darfur region left six people dead, UN-African Union
peacekeepers said, days after violence elsewhere in the area
claimed the lives of at least 37 people dead.
The spokesman for the UNAMID mission, Chris Cycmanick,
yesterday said the fighting took place in the Hamidia refugee
camp in West Darfur late Friday night and continued
intermittently through to next morning.
According to witnesses in the camp, the clashes between
different groups in the camp left six people dead, Cycmanick
said. Thirty-three people were wounded.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the violence.
Ibrahim al-Helw, a spokesman for a Darfur rebel group in
the area, blamed government-allied gunmen for the fighting. He
said 10 people were killed and 29 wounded.
The clashes come less than two weeks after the UN
Security Council called for the demilitarisation of the camps
in Darfur, which serve as a temporary home to hundreds of
thousands of displaced people.
The UN appeal was spurred by similar violence in another
refugee camp between that left five people dead. Humanitarian
workers were barred from the camps for two weeks after the
Fighting in Darfur that began with a 2003 rebellion by
groups who accused the government of neglecting the vast
desert region. The conflict has left up to 300,000 people dead
and forced 2.7 million to flee their homes - many to camps in
Sudan`s vast western region, according to UN figures.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed