At least 43 killed in violence in Sudan`s Darfur
Cairo: Clashes in a refugee camp in Sudan`s
restive Darfur region left six people dead, UN-African Union
peacekeepers said, days after violence elsewhere in the area
claimed the lives of at least 37 people dead.
The spokesman for the UNAMID mission, Chris Cycmanick,
yesterday said the fighting took place in the Hamidia refugee
camp in West Darfur late Friday night and continued
intermittently through to next morning.
According to witnesses in the camp, the clashes between
different groups in the camp left six people dead, Cycmanick
said. Thirty-three people were wounded.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the violence.
Ibrahim al-Helw, a spokesman for a Darfur rebel group in
the area, blamed government-allied gunmen for the fighting. He
said 10 people were killed and 29 wounded.
The clashes come less than two weeks after the UN
Security Council called for the demilitarisation of the camps
in Darfur, which serve as a temporary home to hundreds of
thousands of displaced people.
The UN appeal was spurred by similar violence in another
refugee camp between that left five people dead. Humanitarian
workers were barred from the camps for two weeks after the
Fighting in Darfur that began with a 2003 rebellion by
groups who accused the government of neglecting the vast
desert region. The conflict has left up to 300,000 people dead
and forced 2.7 million to flee their homes - many to camps in
Sudan`s vast western region, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!