At least 43 killed in violence in Sudan`s Darfur
Cairo: Clashes in a refugee camp in Sudan`s
restive Darfur region left six people dead, UN-African Union
peacekeepers said, days after violence elsewhere in the area
claimed the lives of at least 37 people dead.
The spokesman for the UNAMID mission, Chris Cycmanick,
yesterday said the fighting took place in the Hamidia refugee
camp in West Darfur late Friday night and continued
intermittently through to next morning.
According to witnesses in the camp, the clashes between
different groups in the camp left six people dead, Cycmanick
said. Thirty-three people were wounded.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the violence.
Ibrahim al-Helw, a spokesman for a Darfur rebel group in
the area, blamed government-allied gunmen for the fighting. He
said 10 people were killed and 29 wounded.
The clashes come less than two weeks after the UN
Security Council called for the demilitarisation of the camps
in Darfur, which serve as a temporary home to hundreds of
thousands of displaced people.
The UN appeal was spurred by similar violence in another
refugee camp between that left five people dead. Humanitarian
workers were barred from the camps for two weeks after the
Fighting in Darfur that began with a 2003 rebellion by
groups who accused the government of neglecting the vast
desert region. The conflict has left up to 300,000 people dead
and forced 2.7 million to flee their homes - many to camps in
Sudan`s vast western region, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror