At least 43 killed in violence in Sudan`s Darfur
Cairo: Clashes in a refugee camp in Sudan`s
restive Darfur region left six people dead, UN-African Union
peacekeepers said, days after violence elsewhere in the area
claimed the lives of at least 37 people dead.
The spokesman for the UNAMID mission, Chris Cycmanick,
yesterday said the fighting took place in the Hamidia refugee
camp in West Darfur late Friday night and continued
intermittently through to next morning.
According to witnesses in the camp, the clashes between
different groups in the camp left six people dead, Cycmanick
said. Thirty-three people were wounded.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the violence.
Ibrahim al-Helw, a spokesman for a Darfur rebel group in
the area, blamed government-allied gunmen for the fighting. He
said 10 people were killed and 29 wounded.
The clashes come less than two weeks after the UN
Security Council called for the demilitarisation of the camps
in Darfur, which serve as a temporary home to hundreds of
thousands of displaced people.
The UN appeal was spurred by similar violence in another
refugee camp between that left five people dead. Humanitarian
workers were barred from the camps for two weeks after the
Fighting in Darfur that began with a 2003 rebellion by
groups who accused the government of neglecting the vast
desert region. The conflict has left up to 300,000 people dead
and forced 2.7 million to flee their homes - many to camps in
Sudan`s vast western region, according to UN figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’