At least 48 Syrian soldiers killed on way home from Iraq
Baghdad: Unidentified gunmen killed at least 48 Syrian soldiers and government employees who were being taken to the Syrian border by Iraqi authorities on Monday after fleeing into Iraq from a Syrian rebel attack last week, Iraqi officials said.
A convoy carrying the Syrians was ambushed in Iraq`s western province of Anbar, where thousands of Iraqi Sunnis have been protesting daily for more than two months against the Shi`ite-led government and the perceived marginalisation of their sect.
The conflict in neighbouring Syria, where mainly Sunni Muslim rebels are fighting to overthrow a leader backed by Shi`ite Iran, is whipping up sectarian tensions in Iraq and the wider Middle East.
That has raised concerns of a return to the kind of sectarian strife that killed tens of thousands in Iraq in 2006-2007.
"The incident took place in Akashat when the convoy carrying the Syrian soldiers and employees was on its way to the al-Waleed border crossing," a senior Iraqi official said.
"Gunmen set up an ambush and killed 40 of them, plus some Iraqi soldiers who were protecting the convoy."
The Iraqi officials said some 65 Syrian soldiers and government employees had handed themselves over to Iraq on Friday after anti-government rebels seized the Syrian side of the Yaarabiya frontier crossing.
Anbar`s Sunnis have been venting frustrations that have built up since the US-led invasion overthrew the Sunni Muslim dictator Saddam Hussein and empowered Iraqi`s majority Shi`ites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read