At least 49 people killed in Peru truck crash: Mayor
Lima: At least 49 people were killed when a truck careened off a cliff in the southeastern Peru province of La Convencion, the local mayor said on Saturday.
"We are in mourning, so far we have 49 dead," Fedia Castro said on local television, adding that people often travel by truck in this region, because of a shortage of buses.
The victims include 12 children, he added.
Deadly crashes are commonplace in Peru, where poorly maintained roads zig-zag up and down the towering Andes.
In the last week, two other deadly crashes in southern Peru took 19 and 10 lives, respectively.
In the latest accident, the truck fell into an abyss near the town of Suyucuyo and was carrying revelers.
The passengers of the damaged vehicle had participated in a regional party in the district of Santa Teresa, said the mayor.
More than 4,000 people were killed in traffic accidents in 2012, according to official statistics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon