At least 5 dead in Italy bus crash
Rome: A bus bringing retired police officers to a national convention veered off a highway in northern Italy on Saturday and plunged into a canal, killing at least five people, officials said.
More than a dozen others were injured, some of them seriously, when the bus broke through the barricades of the A13 highway near Padua and ended up partially submerged in water, firefighters and news reports said.
Rescue crews recovered five bodies and extracted several other injured passengers from the bus, Padua firefighter Mauro Bacelle told Sky TG24 television.
Police divers were brought in to ensure no victims were thrown into the canal, the LaPresse news agency said.
Bacelle said the stretch of the highway where the crash occurred isn`t particularly risky and that the crash occurred well after daybreak, at around 8 am.
The bus was bringing retired carabinieri paramilitary police officers from Aprilia, south of Rome, to a national carabinieri convention in Jesolo, near Venice, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi