At least 50 dead in DR Congo shipwreck
Kinshasa: At least 50 people drowned and
some 35 are reported missing after a boat accident on a river
in the northwest of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the
Equateur province government said on Friday.
The vessel, which was wrecked late Tuesday, was
carrying at least 200 passengers and "up to yesterday
(Thursday) we counted 115 survivors and 50 bodies fished from
the water with difficulty," the government spokeswoman said. "The others are certainly lost or were dragged down by
The large motorised barge, which was also carrying
goods, collided during the night with another boat, which was
empty, on the Tshuapa river, 115 kilometres east of the
provincial capital Mbandaka, spokeswoman Rebecca Ebale Nguma
"The boat`s manifesto indicated that 200 people were
on board, but some of the survivors say there were about 350
people," Nguma added.
Overloading boats is a common practice in the DR
Congo, and is also one of the main causes of the many
shipwrecks in the vast central African country, which is
studded with lakes and rivers. The mighty Congo river itself
is one of the main transport routes.
Accidents are also caused by the bad or absent
signposting of waterways, the inexperience of pilots and the
lack of lights on boats. Many vessels carry no lifebelts or
After a spate of accidents on waterways at the end of
April and early in May, transport minister Marie-Laure Kawanda
was sacked from her post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA