At least 73 dead in Congo boat accident: Red Cross
Kinshasa: At least 73 people were killed and others missing after a logging boat sank in a lake in western Democratic Republic of Congo, a Red Cross official said on Saturday.
The boat sank in bad weather and had been transporting logs on Lake Mai Ndombe in Bandundu province with no authorisation to take on passengers, United Nations-sponsored Radio Okapi said.
"We are at 272 survivors and 73 dead. These are bodies that we have found along the shores of the lake," Dominic Lutula, president of the Congolese Red Cross told Reuters.
"There are still some people missing. But we don`t know how many because there was no ship`s manifest," he added.
Radio Okapi said the boat, owned by a logging company called Sodefor, sank at around 8 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Wednesday.
Despite its vast mineral wealth, roads are almost non-existent outside Congo`s main towns. Travel is often limited to aircraft and the boats that ply its huge network of rivers.
Accidents are frequent due to overloading, lack of maintenance, and lax enforcement of safety standards.
At least 14 people died in September after their boat sank on an isolated stretch of the Lualaba river in the southern province of Katanga.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks