At least six dead in Iraq attacks
Baquba: At least six people were killed in
bomb attacks in Iraq today, including a device which blew up
in a mock coffin during a demonstration, security sources
Dozens of people took part in the protest in Khales, 65
kilometres north of Baghdad, to demand stiff penalties for the
perpetrators of anti-Shiite attacks in the city, the local
security operations command said.
The demonstrators were carrying a mock coffin when a
booby-trapped device exploded inside the box, killing three
people and wounding seven, an official at the centre told.
Sectarian tensions remain high in Khales, a city which in
2006-2007 was a battleground between Sunni insurgents of
Al-Qaeda and Shiite militias.
At the end of May, a car bombing in a Khales marketplace
killed 30 people, two months after another 42 people perished
in a double bomb attack near a coffee shop and a restaurant.
In Baghdad today, two bombs exploded near a petrol
station in the central district of Muhandicin, killing two and
wounding five others, the capital`s police said.
And a man was killed in the western city of Fallujah when
a "sticky bomb" attached to his car blew up, a local police
Although overall levels of violence in Iraq have fallen
markedly since their peak in 2006 and 2007, deadly attacks
against civilians and security forces take place on a daily
Iraq has only a caretaker government more than four
months after a general election in which no clear winner
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read