At least six dead in Iraq attacks
Baquba: At least six people were killed in
bomb attacks in Iraq today, including a device which blew up
in a mock coffin during a demonstration, security sources
Dozens of people took part in the protest in Khales, 65
kilometres north of Baghdad, to demand stiff penalties for the
perpetrators of anti-Shiite attacks in the city, the local
security operations command said.
The demonstrators were carrying a mock coffin when a
booby-trapped device exploded inside the box, killing three
people and wounding seven, an official at the centre told.
Sectarian tensions remain high in Khales, a city which in
2006-2007 was a battleground between Sunni insurgents of
Al-Qaeda and Shiite militias.
At the end of May, a car bombing in a Khales marketplace
killed 30 people, two months after another 42 people perished
in a double bomb attack near a coffee shop and a restaurant.
In Baghdad today, two bombs exploded near a petrol
station in the central district of Muhandicin, killing two and
wounding five others, the capital`s police said.
And a man was killed in the western city of Fallujah when
a "sticky bomb" attached to his car blew up, a local police
Although overall levels of violence in Iraq have fallen
markedly since their peak in 2006 and 2007, deadly attacks
against civilians and security forces take place on a daily
Iraq has only a caretaker government more than four
months after a general election in which no clear winner
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan