At least three killed in Japan tunnel collapse
Tokyo: At least three people were killed and two women injured when a section of a four-km-long tunnel collapsed in Japan Sunday, media reports said.
The Sasago tunnel in the Chou expressway in Otsuki, about 80 km west of Tokyo, collapsed around 8 am, trapping many cars inside, Xinhua reported citing Kyodo News.
Two people were taken to hospital. Firefighters managed to control a fire triggered by a crash of two vehicles after the ceiling and wall collapsed in a 100-metre section of the tunnel.
The cars were crushed after the 20-cm-thick ceiling collapsed in a 50-60 metre section of the cave.
A woman, who managed to escape the collapse, said she was in a car in which five others were trapped.
Rescuers were earlier forced to withdraw from the tunnel as engineers at the site warned that the tunnel`s structure was unstable and might collapse again.
After hours of suspension, rescue work restarted around 4 pm.
The operator of the highway, Central Nippon Expressway Company, apologised for the incident.
The company said that in a regular check in September, they did not find any defects inside the tunnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'