Attack in Benghazi an act of war: Newt Gingrich
Washington: Republican leadership has intensified its attack on the Obama administration`s handling of the current volatile situation in the Middle East, with one of its top leaders arguing that the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi was "an act of war" and not "senseless violence”.
"These are not acts of senseless violence. These are acts of war," Newt Gingrich, former speaker to the US House of Representatives and a former Republican presidential candidate, said in an op-ed to Politico magazine.
Gingrich alleged that the US ambassador to Libya and three other Americans were not killed by a senseless mob, but by a purposeful group of men armed with sophisticated weapons.
"These killers had tracked Ambassador Chris Stevens down to the US consulate in Benghazi, where he was much more vulnerable to attack and had less protection. They waged a coordinated, military-style assault," Gingrich said.
Senator John McCain said that the US is paying a heavy price for Obama`s "feckless" foreign policy.
"What this is all about is American weakness and the president`s inability to lead," McCain said on NBC`s `Today` show.
"Iraq is dissolving. Our relations with Israel are at a tension point. I`d like to see the president of the US speak out for once for the 20,000 people that are being massacred in Syria. There`s an absence of American leadership in the region and they are very weak," McCain said.
"The fact is the United States in the Middle East is weak and we are paying the price for that weakness. There is a lack of leadership there, and that`s what I would be talking about, and I hope that Mitt Romney will be looking at the big picture," McCain told MSNBC news.
Republican Senator Jim Inhofe, senior member on Senate Armed Services Committee and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, introduced a resolution on Thursday calling for US aid to Egypt and Libya be suspended until the President can certify that each government is providing a necessary level of protection to US embassies and personnel.
"When you attack an embassy, you attack America," said Inhofe.
"Host countries have a responsibility for the safety of our personnel. Unfortunately, we lost four patriots yesterday (on Wednesday), including Ambassador Chris Stevens, and justice must be brought for their deaths. The safety of our embassy personnel continues to be threatened," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe