Attack on cricketers funded by SL elements: Gilani
Islamabad: Pakistan Premier Yousuf Raza
Gilani on Sunday said Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa had
told him the terrorists involved in the attack on his
country`s cricket team in Lahore were funded from elements in
Gilani said he had asked Rajapaksa to share more
information about the funding so that Pakistan can send a team
from the Interior Ministry to go into the issue further.
"In Libya, the Sri Lankan President told me that they
have clues that the attack on the Lankan Team was funded from
Sri Lanka. I told him that if he was willing to share these
clues, we could send our officials from the Interior
Ministry," Gilain told reporters after visiting Minister for
Religious Affairs Hamid Saeed Kazmi at a hospital here.
Six players and 20 others were injured when the convoy
of the Sri Lankan cricket team was attacked by a group of
terrorists outside a stadium in Lahore on March 3.
Gilani also said his government was pursuing a long
term and multi-pronged strategy to root out terrorism from the
After the successful military operation in Swat and
Malakand, the government is working on an exit strategy, he
said. "The army will stay in the area till peace is completely
restored. The option of building a cantonment in Swat is also
on the table," he said.
Gilani said the government is firm on its principled
stand on Jammu and Kashmir and will keep on supporting people
in the region.
To another question, he said package of political
reforms was a longstanding demand of the people of Gilgit and
The people in Northern Areas are given internal
autonomy and sovereignty in their affairs and now they have
authority equal to other provinces, he added.
The Prime Minister said he took into confidence the
President and Prime Minister of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir on
the new status of Gilgit and Baltistan province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands