Attack on Mexico funeral kills 7, wounds 17
Piedras Negras(Mexico): Gunmen in northern Mexico attacked mourners at a graveside ceremony for a man apparently killed by a drug cartel, killing seven people and wounding 17.
The mass shooting took place at a cemetery in the city of Torreon, Coahuila, said assistant state prosecutor Fernando Olivas. The area has been the scene of bloody battles between drug gangs.
At least three carloads of gunmen pulled up to the cemetery, located next door to a military base, and opened fire on the mourners with assault rifles.
Some of the mourners, apparently carrying their own guns, returned fire. The attackers then fled.
Investigators then found some guns hidden among the tombs at the cemetery.
The man whose funeral was being held had been shot to death Saturday in an imported luxury car, and a hand-lettered sign referring to a drug cartel was found next to his body.
Mexican drug cartels have been known to attack hospitals and ambulances to finish off wounded rivals, but attacks on funerals are relatively rare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog