Attack on Mexico funeral kills 7, wounds 17
Piedras Negras(Mexico): Gunmen in northern Mexico attacked mourners at a graveside ceremony for a man apparently killed by a drug cartel, killing seven people and wounding 17.
The mass shooting took place at a cemetery in the city of Torreon, Coahuila, said assistant state prosecutor Fernando Olivas. The area has been the scene of bloody battles between drug gangs.
At least three carloads of gunmen pulled up to the cemetery, located next door to a military base, and opened fire on the mourners with assault rifles.
Some of the mourners, apparently carrying their own guns, returned fire. The attackers then fled.
Investigators then found some guns hidden among the tombs at the cemetery.
The man whose funeral was being held had been shot to death Saturday in an imported luxury car, and a hand-lettered sign referring to a drug cartel was found next to his body.
Mexican drug cartels have been known to attack hospitals and ambulances to finish off wounded rivals, but attacks on funerals are relatively rare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Dredging of Brahmaputra soon to stop floods, erosion: Sonowal
- You may be ignoring these signs of a stroke! - Watch video
- Delhi schoolboy run over by van that dropped him home
- Will pursue agenda of political resolution, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes over separate tribal state, 20 injured