Attackers kill 10 members of same family in Nigeria
Abuja: Attackers armed with guns and machetes stormed a village in central Nigeria`s Plateau state today killing 10 members of the same family amongst them five children under the age of ten.
Two persons were also fatally injured and are receiving treatment in Vom hospital. The attack took place in Kogwom village in Vom district near the city of Jos.
Military spokesman Lieutenant Kingsley Egbo confirmed the incident and promised that efforts are being made to apprehend the assailants who escaped before the arrival of the police.
"The attack is barbaric and very inhuman. The government will do everything to bring lasting peace to the state," government spokesman, Ayuba Pam said.
He said five children including a two-month-old child were killed in the incident.
The military said none of their men was involved in the attack despite the use of military uniforms by the criminals.
Hundreds of people have died in internecine conflict involving ethnic Fulanis and Beroms in Jos and its environs.
Sometimes the clashes take a religious colour as Christians attack Muslims or vice versa.
Majority of the Fulanis are Muslims while the Beroms are mostly Christians.
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video