Attackers kill 51 in South Sudan clashes
Juba: Gunmen killed at least 51 people in the
latest ethnic clashes in South Sudan`s troubled Jonglei state,
the region`s governor said Tuesday.
"The whole night (Monday) they burned the town... 51 are
confirmed dead and now we have 22 (injured) evacuated to
Juba," said Jonglei governor Kuol Manyang.
Armed men stormed the village of Duk Padiet in northern
Jonglei late Monday, with most of those killed "women,
children and the elderly," Manyang said.
"We are expecting more to be injured because they ran to
the villages last night," he said, blaming gunmen from the
Murle ethnic group for the attack.
Remote and impoverished Jonglei has seen a dramatic
escalation of bloody tit-for-tat attacks between rival ethnic
groups over cattle raids and abduction of people.
Newly-independent South Sudan has declared Jonglei a
national "disaster area" while the United Nations has launched
a "massive emergency" operation to help over 60,000 people
affected by the violence.
Last month an 8,000-strong tribal militia of Lou Nuer
youths marched on Pibor, to exact revenge on the Murle people
there for alleged attacks, abductions and cattle raiding.
Now officials claim the latest violence is the Murle`s
One attacker was killed, a suspected Murle man wearing
military fatigues, Manyang said.
The village "was attacked by people positively identified
as the Murle armed youth," said Philip Thon Leek Deng, the
Deng said that large herds of cattle had been stolen in a
series of raids in the area last week, but the attack
yesterday targeted people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy