Attacks across Iraq kill six
Baghdad: A series of attacks across Iraq on Sunday killed six people in the latest in spiraling violence which has sparked fears of a revival of the brutal sectarian war that blighted the country.
The surge in unrest comes as Iraq grapples with months of protests by the Sunni Arab community and protracted political deadlock.
Analysts warn there may be no respite before general elections next year.
Attacks on Sunday struck in Mosul, Dawr, Sharqat and Hilla, killing four people and wounding eight, while officials also found the bodies of two men who had been shot in Sharqat.
A 17-year-old girl killed by a roadside bomb near Dawr, north of Baghdad, was among the dead.
The latest attacks pushed the nationwide death toll for June to 439, the third successive month the figure has topped 400, according to an AFP tally based on reports from security and medical officials.
More than 1,000 people died in unrest across Iraq in April and May.
However, figures compiled by the United Nations are higher still, pegging the death toll for April and May at more than 1,750.
Iraq has seen a rise in violence since the beginning of the year, coinciding with rallies among the Sunni Arab minority against what demonstrators see as discrimination and the authorities targeting them.
Analysts say a government failure to address protesters` grievances has given militant groups recruitment fodder and room to manoeuvre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read